Answers to your questions

Why is Purchase College pursuing this development project?

Purchase College is committed to being a place where learning happens at any age. With a senior living community on campus, Purchase College is fulfilling its vision of education as a lifelong continuum. The project will also be a source of revenue for the school. Per legislation passed in 2011, 75% of proceeds will fund student scholarships, and the remaining 25% will fund faculty hiring and support.

Will Broadview – Senior Living at Purchase College offer residents care options?

Yes, Phase One will include 220 apartments and villas for independent living, with assisted living apartments and private memory care suites also available.

Where will the community be located on the Purchase College campus?

Broadview will be built on 40 acres of vacant land on the southwest part of the Purchase College campus, near the college’s Admissions Building. The Performing Arts Center and Visual Arts Building are just a short walk away.

Does the location provide easy access to shopping, dining and transportation off campus?

Restaurants, shopping and cultural attractions are just a short drive away in White Plains, NY. More options can be found in Rye, Armonk, Harrison, and Scarsdale, NY, and in Greenwich and Stamford, CT. Some of the country’s top golf courses – including Old Oaks, Century, Westchester Country Club, and Blind Brook – are also nearby. Westchester County International Airport is just minutes away, and train service to New York City is easily accessed from several nearby locations.

What kind of interaction will Broadview residents have with the campus?

Residents will have the opportunity to take classes, attend student performances and exhibitions at the Performing Arts Center and Neuberger Museum of Art, and interact with students both formally and informally on campus and within the Broadview community. There’ll be opportunities for student mentoring, working, learning and teaching. The college plans to develop new programs for residents in a variety of subjects.

As a resident of Broadview, will I have to take classes at Purchase College?

No, you can be involved in college life as much or as little as you like. Numerous studies do show, however, that older adults who pursue lifelong learning and stay connected can enjoy a happier, healthier, more purposeful life.

Are there senior living communities on other college campuses?

Dozens of retirement communities across the country are affiliated with colleges, including Lasell, Oberlin, Stanford, Cornell and Dartmouth. Lawmakers, educators and retirees across the country agree that adding seniors to a college campus can lead to a creative synergy between youth and experience – an alliance of energy and wisdom that benefits everyone.

Who is overseeing the development and management of Broadview?

The college has formed a nonprofit corporation, the Purchase College Advancement Corporation, to oversee the project. To help bring our vision to life, we’ve partnered with Life Care Services®, An LCS® Company, the nation’s third-largest manager of senior living communities, and Senior Care Development LLC, a nationally recognized leader in developing high-end retirement communities.

When will construction start?

We don’t have a date scheduled for groundbreaking at this time. We’ll update this website to keep you informed about our progress. The first step is to invite those who are interested to join Broadview’s Interested List. The Interest List Members will be kept informed of Broadview’s progress and alerted to when final floor plans and pricing will be available for residence selection. Use the contact form on this page to join the Interest List and be kept up to date.

Have additional questions? Download Q&A

Download a copy of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement:

A copy of the DEIS will also be available for review at the Purchase College library.

New York’s State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) requires all state and local government agencies to assess the environmental significance of all actions they have discretion to approve, fund, or directly undertake. SEQRA requires the agencies to balance environmental impacts with social and economic factors when deciding to approve or undertake a project. The following materials have been created as part of our compliance with the SEQRA process for this project.

SUNY Purchase Public Scoping Session Presentation

Purchase College SLC Final Scoping Document